Sep 29, 2011

The Grass Isn’t Always Greener On the Other Side…


Thanks to hip2save  for this wonderful article. I have been talking to a lot of cashiers and store managers and I do feel for them. Every group has that one person who makes the entire group look bad, as a couponer, I always run into horrible stories when talking to cashiers, so please, read on. And, if this hits close to home..... well, then maybe it should.


As you most likely know, a new episode of TLC’s Extreme Couponing airs tonight at 10PM EST.  If you’ve been following Hip2Save for some time now, I am sure you know my feeling regarding this show. Now please note that this post is not going to be about those feelings or a post trying to serve up any negativity. As you know, I try to keep things really positive here at Hip2Save. And, with that being said, I thought it would be interesting to discuss why it’s oh so important to take a step back and realize that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Check out this email on “Proper Coupon Etiquette from Couponer to Cashier” from Melody, a Hip2Save reader & cashier:
While some might see the [proper coupon etiquette] issue as non-existent, I as a cashier have personal experience in the behaviors that couponers can toss at me for one reason or another. I myself am a couponer with my handy binder and a head stocked full of coupon allowances and policies for the store I work at. Still, I can understand that many couponers would doubt this and believe I am only out to give them a hassle, so most of the time I just have be patient in my explanation of why their coupons can’t be used.
So my real concern isn’t with their doubt of my knowledge or real motives but more their outrageous treatment of me the moment I have to refuse their coupons. I have been called every curse word imaginable, been screamed at and called a racist/sexist & other degenerate and condescending terms. One of the cashiers in my store has even been outright harassed by a customer who yelled at others to avoid her line since she[the cashier] was only trying to “cheat” people. This sort of behavior has gone on so much so that I almost want to call a manager over to ring up customers with coupons to avoid a possible argument.
While I understand that some of this can be hard to believe or even seem like a slam to couponers…it’s truly not. But more an appeal to remind people that on both sides of the cash registers are human-beings with feelings that simply want to go about their day with as little conflict as possible. No one can know the real extent of a cashier’s knowledge about couponing, but if a couponer doesn’t agree with the ruling of a cashier, guest services is their best friend. But please, do inquire lightly with no bitterness.

And to go along with Melody’s email, consider this quote that my mom sent me:

For every minute you are angry, you lose sixty seconds of happiness.  ~Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment