Jan 21, 2012

Homemade Mozzarella Cheese



I ran across this article at thecoupongoddess and I just had to share it with you. This is what she said: 

There is this misconception that frugal people don't eat well. More specifically, that couponers don't eat well. Yakisoba noodles, Hamburger Helper, Lunchables, candy bars, unfortunately that's how we are portrayed in the media. Like it or not. Truth or not. That's the perception.

Yes, there are some couponers out there who shop like that, but not the majority. I'll even go out on a limb and say that there are a ton of couponers who like fine food. Food that is wholesome, nutritious, flavorful, and gourmet. Call me crazy, but I'm guessing that if you've been following me for awhile, you might fall into that category.

So, today I'd like to share a new recipe with you. A recipe that I hope will inspire you to try something new. Something delicious. A frugal recipe that will make your inner foodie sing a glorious song. Even challenge you to create something you've never considered before.

Homemade cheese.....




Last June my friend Rebecca shared a recipe for homemade mozzarella. And before I tell you about her fabulous recipe, I want to tell you something about Rebecca. When I first met Rebecca, I was instantly drawn to her. She has this infectious personality that just makes you like her.

Have you ever met anyone like that? A person that makes you feel drawn to them with just their smile? That's Rebecca. The most interesting thing about that is the biblical meaning of her name. Rebecca means "to bind". If you follow her
blog for any amount of time, you'll understand that pull. She's kind of magnetic.


Rebecca and I have much in common. We both love to cook and we are both frugal. So, when Rebecca told me that I could make fresh mozzarella at home in half of an hour, she had my attention. "Is it easy?", I asked? "Very", she said.

Have you ever checked out the price of fresh mozzarella at the grocery store? Not. Cheap. But I love it and have splurged on occasion, because it sure is good with a glass of wine.


Before I get too excited sharing all of the details with you, here is the recipe. You'll notice that there are a few ingredients that you most likely do not have in your pantry/stockpile. You will need to order them from a cheesemaking supply website which Rebecca has listed in her post.

The initial cash outlay for the citric acid and rennet, which is required to make the cheese, will cost you around $15.00 plus shipping. But once you have those special ingredients, you'll most likely have enough ingredients to make as many mozzarella balls as your heart desires. I figure it will last me a year.


When you first start making the mozzarella, it won't look right to you. After following the recipe, the milk started looking funky. Sort of like a baby bottle that rolled under the seats of a minivan in February but not discovered until June. If you have kids, you know what I'm talking about.


But after awhile, things start to come together. It's like the best science experiment you could EVER perform in your kitchen. I highly suggest trying this with your kids. Oh the lessons they will learn. One moment you have a pot of eeeeewwwww, and then it morphs to whoaaaaaa......


At the end of thirty mere minutes, you have this; a ball of perfection. Smooth, elastic, and flavorful mozzarella. Did you catch the thirty minutes part? Really, it only took that long. And it was so very simple to make.


After chilling it for a bit, I sliced it up and served it with some crackers, roasted red peppers, and some olives. An elegant, impressive, and affordable snack to serve guests. And can you imagine the conversation it would start when you tell your guests that you made the cheese from scratch? Forget Martha Stewart, you've just upped the ante.


Fresh mozzarella can be enjoyed in so many different ways. Sliced and paired with tomatoes to make a Caprese salad. The best grilled cheese of your life. Tossed with romaine, olive oil and roasted red peppers. Or simply served with crackers and a nice glass of wine. Speaking of which....


I found this wine at the package store this week. Bodega Elena de Mendoza from Argentina. A wonderful Malbec that was only $8.99. An excellent price for an incredible bottle of wine. If you are a wine drinker, especially a lover of Malbec, then give this a whirl.

Some people are afraid to try new wines, or any wine for that matter, because they aren't sure what to buy. Wine can be intimidating if you don't know what you are looking for. So, many people go for the tried and true Yellow Tail, Turning Leaf, and Gallo because they seem like safe choices.

Also, many people think that you have to spend a lot of money for good wine. Not true. The price of the wine is not necessarily indicative of the quality. You could very well pay $8.99 for an excellent bottle of wine. That is indeed the case with this Malbec.

One of my resolutions for my blog this year is to highlight good, inexpensive wines when I encounter them. And this one gets my seal of approval!


If you decide to try your hand at this mozzarella, do come back and let me know how it goes. It was so much fun that I'm making it again with my kids this weekend. A fun, educational experience with delicious results. All for the cost of a gallon of whole milk and a few inexpensive ingredients.



Thank you SO MUCH for sharing  The Coupon Goddess

No comments:

Post a Comment