Nov 16, 2011

Hey you! Have you registered to Vote?! That's what I thought!


I have never been a fan of politics. I have never had interest in the subject and honestly found it pretty boring and dull. It was also under my "it-will-for-sure-get-you-into-an-argument" category right along with religion, but since I felt pretty willingly ignorant about politics, I would much rather talk about religion.

Then, I met my husband. Two years passed before we talked about politics, and I remember very vividly when that happened. The first time we ever talked about politics was when I was visiting him in Pennsylvania (long story), it was one month after the September 11th attacks and I was 17. He pretty much flat out told me that he was going to be running for president one day and that he was just letting me know. I remember thinking in the back of my head: "Okay, and I will grow wings and fly around the world, Ah, did I mention that I will also be able to breathe under water like a mermaid?!" But I smiled and said: "That is so cool! Good for you!" gave him a hug and changed the subject.

Today, I am registered to vote and I vote in every single election. Believe me, if I don't, he will trick me, telling me he has to go to the store (I love going to stores!), and on the way he will drive me to the courthouse or the voting place and make sure I cast my ballot. Sneaky Sneaky. However, today, being more mature and educated, I appreciate his efforts to make sure that I am involved in the decision making of our community.

Most people will only vote for president, and they think that their vote is really making a big difference. Well, not that it is not making a difference.. sure it is, but to be brutally honest, no one really gets to vote for the president, the electoral college does it. So, sure we can influence their vote.. but are we really making a difference?

Local elections is where this "difference" lays. Let me give you an example: Two weeks ago we voted on 10 Amendments for the Texas Constitution. Glen and I were election judges and we oversaw the election for our precinct (1641) which has about 2300 people. It covers a few neighborhoods around my area. Well, 31 people showed up to vote. So, those 31 people DECIDED for the other 2300 people. These votes REALLY counted, they really made a difference. Those were also issues that will affect you and I right here on our backyard, so why wouldn't you want to give your two cents?!

Remember what I say.. you must BE the change you want to SEE. It is time to uncross your arms and get involved in our local politics.. if you don't, then you can't complain if the neighbor that you really hate voted for opening a gas well next to your house and not theirs. Get it?!

Not registered to vote? Click here so you can start! 
(Tarrant County only)

No comments:

Post a Comment