Aug 26, 2011

Beginner's Tip about stockpiling



If you just started couponing, you probably have developed a sense of anxiety when you look at your pantry (or garage) and you don't see hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of products. If that's you, I have one word of wisdom: breathe.

It takes time to master the art of couponing and if you are new, you are probably feeling overwhelmed as it is. Adding a dose of anxiety is a the perfect recipe for coupon failure. It takes time, it takes research (lucky for you, I do that part!) and persistence.

First step:
Well, that is of course, to get your coupons. Now, I have a few tips about that. If you are EXTREMELY busy, like my friend Allie, who is going to nursing school, working at the hospital, planning a wedding, being a mom to an almost-two-year-old-adorable-little-girl, being a fiancee, and taking care of the house, (and I am sure I am forgetting something!) then I suggest NOT to cut all your coupons. Instead, keep the inserts intact and stick them in a "sheet protectot" (make sure you label the date) and file them away. This way, you will only cut the ones you need, or have time. REMEMBER: you win some, lose some. Which means that some weeks you will have a lot of products, and some weeks you won't. Thats is OKAY. Repeat it to yourseld outloud if you have to! :)

Second step:
Check  the site for deals. If you don't have time to keep checking the site throughout the day, make sure you sign up for the daily e-mail. You will get one e-mail per day with all the deals that was posted on the site. It's a win-win! Remember that when items are at a rock bottom price I post them in red and when they are a good deal, but not worth going crazy over, I post them in yellowish.

Third step:
BE NICE, VERY VERY VERY nice to all the store employees. You have no idea how many times a get: "you are the nicest coupon lady I have ever met, all the other ones are witches" (word was sensored to protect the guilty). I apologize for my fellow unpolite couponers and I make sure I remember the cashier's name and make a point to say hi every time I go there. The last thing we want are jaded cashiers! Cashiers are friends, not punching bags. A lot of times, it is not their fault. If the computer is saying "don't take the coupon" then they can't take the coupon! So, if you want, you can nicely ask for a manager, step aside, so the people behind you can go and then you can go from there. But don't take your frustration on the cashier, they are not willing to lose their jobs so you can get your deodorant for free.. and they shouldn't have to.



Fourth step:
You just found the deal of a lifetime and you decide to stock up. That is great! However, I want you to keep a few tricks in mind. You can always order extra coupons from coupon clipping services (my favorite is coupons and things by Dede), or ebay, or trade them with friends. If you decide to buy more than 10-20 items at one place, I would reccomend talking to the manager and having them "special order" you those products so you don't clear the shelves and keep the sweet older ladies from getting any toothpaste. KEEP IN MIND: that if you special order something, make sure it comes in BEFORE the sale is over or before your coupons expire. Don't wait until Tuesday to special order your toothpaste, when the new ad comes out on Wednesday and the toothpaste is now back to its normal overpriced price.

Remember that Drug stores are not the place to "stock up" at. Most of them can't "special" order any products and they have a very low inventory, so when you clear the shelf.. it's pretty much gone. So, get what you need, want, but try to leave it to someone else too! Talk to the manager, ask them if they could special order something if you requested. It doesn't hurt to check! Also, some Walgreens have started letting you make your orders online and pick it up at the store! See if your walgreens is doing that.

Fifth and Last step:
Now that you have done all this work, sit back and enjoy your stockpile. It took me 6 months of every weekend shopping to get to where I am today, and I now realize that I could have taken it easier (I was pregnant, had just resigned my job, and was freaking out). Remember that sales come in a cycle of every three months and that free deodorant you missed because you couldn't make it to the store, it will be back again!




No comments:

Post a Comment